keynotes / videos / etc
Nov 17 AI Boost, Baltics
Nov 16 Zhejiang Lab, Beijing
Nov 11 Keynote for AIJ, Moscow (world's largest
AI event, over 40M views)
Oct 19 Malvic21, Norway
Sep 6 Statistics Congress
Sep 3 Knowledge Marathon (+200k viewers)
Jun 4 SPIEF, St. Petersburg ("Russian Davos")
May 13 RoentgenKongress
Apr 16 Chinese ML summit
Apr 13 11:15-12:00: Talk at Hannover Messe, the world's largest trade fair (opened by Angela Merkel). 14:00-15:00: Talk at GTC 2021 (opened by NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang)
1. Additional affiliation since Oct 2021: Director of the AI Initiative at KAUST, the university with the highest impact per faculty
2. Additional affiliation since April 2021: Chief Scientific Advisor of the non-profit AI Research Institute (AIRI), Moscow
3. Jan 2021: Our five submissions to ICLR 2021 got accepted.
4. Many anniversaries of important AI papers of the past 50 years discussed in the
Dec 19 Datafest, Moscow
Dec 8 Keynote for TechFest 2020, Bombay
Dec 7-13 KAUST / NeurIPS
Dec 4 Chat on AI with President Putin
Dec 3 Keynote for AIJ 2020, Moscow - live stream seen by millions viewers
Nov 13 Keynote on curiosity for CERN
June 24 Keynote for BAAI 2020, Beijing
June 6 Keynote for
Data Science Congress 2020, India
Apr 25 Keynote for GMIC 2020, Beijing -
live stream seen by an estimated 2 million viewers
Davos 2020 with Will.i.am and others
Nov 22-25 Nanjing / Shanghai
Nov 21 Rome (with Italy's Prime Minister)
Nov 8 Moscow: JS & President Putin & industry leaders
Oct 22-31 PM Forum, Allianz, Innovations. DIALOG,
FAZ & Hertie (youtube), etc.
Sep 19 Stern Steward Inst.
Sep 18 ICANN keynote
Sep 3 Swiss Digital Day with Swiss President
Aug 29-31 World AI Conference, Shanghai
May 16 Etengo Symposium
May 13 United Nations (UN-CSTD: Great Minds)
Apr 30 Dubai AI Everything
Apr 11 BW Digital Summit
Mar 28-29 Allianz, Accenture
Mar 20 Berlin
Mar 16 Steiger Award
Mar 9-13 SXSW Austin, Texas, with Kasparov
Mar 6 Autosalon Geneva
Feb 10-12 World Govt Summit, Dubai
Jan 3 Shaastra Tech Festival, IIT Madras, India
1. Oct 4 -
Inaugural tweet: In 2020, we will celebrate that many of the basic ideas behind the Deep Learning Revolution were published three decades ago within fewer than 12 months in our
"Annus Mirabilis" 1990-1991
solved Rubik's Cube with a robot hand,
using LSTM and PowerPlay-like problem invention
3. Apr 11 - Interview with CNNmoney:
Part 1 (general) &
Part 2 (on a healthcare data market where every patient can become a micro-entrepreneur)
on-device speech recognition of 2019
(now on your phone, not on the server)
is still based on
5. JS is recipient of the 2019 Steiger Award (previous recipients include Beckenbauer, Bob Geldof, Shimon Peres, Boris Becker, Buzz Aldrin, Lou Reed, Mark Knopfler, the Queens of Spain & Sweden, Gehry, Klitschko, and others). More
6. SONY's show at SXSW Austin, Texas (Mar 9-12): JS and the last human chess champion Garry Kasparov (PR Newswire, Feb 22)
7. DeepMind beat a pro player in the game of Starcraft, which is harder than chess or Go in many ways, using
Alphastar whose brain has a deep LSTM core.
1. Our LSTM used by 2 papers in Nature, vol 568, 2019:
mapping brain signals to speech
one about predicting what's going on in nuclear fusion reactors (p. 526)
2. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Switzerland still
leads the world in AI research in terms of citation impact (although China produces the most papers in AI).
3. Update of 2019: ERC Advanced Grant AlgoRNN:
Job openings for PostDocs & PhD Students.
Interviews possible at NeurIPS 2019, Vancouver, 9-15 Dec 2019
Dec 1-9 NIPS Montreal
Nov 23 WIRED Italy
Nov 12 IAB Milano
Nov 10 Rome
Nov 8-9 Berlin
Oct 25 Digital Train with Swiss President,
Oct 22 Digitalskills
Oct 16 Media Congress
Oct 11 SZ Salon
Oct 10 GTC Europe
Oct 4 IROS plenary
Sep 28 Torino
Sep 26 Innovationstag
Sep 21 ODSC London
Sep 7 CDU/CSU Klausur
Aug 11 Locarno Film Fest
Jul 25 Munich
Jul 14-16 Stockholm
Jul 12 Munich
Jul 3 Berliner Salon
Jun 26 Govt & Swissstaffing
Jun 13 CeBit
Jun 11 London CogX video
Jun 8 AI in Berlin
May 29 Angela Merkel
May 23 Paris Bloomberg etc
May 12-17 dbAccess Singapore
Apr 25 State Dinner with President of Germany
Mar 22 E.ON
Mar 16 Start Summit
Mar 15 Handelsblatt
Mar 6 NWX Elbphilharmonie
Feb 9-14 World Government Summit, Dubai
Feb 2 Villa Rothschild, birthplace of Grundgesetz
Jan 20-21 DLD Munich
Dec 3-11 NIPS, Long Beach
Nov 27-29 Stuttgart, Bern, Mainz
Nov 17 SZ Summit, Berlin
Nov 16 Superinvestor, Amsterdam
Falling Walls, Berlin
Oct 17 Deep Tech Summit, London
Sep 27 Teads, Zurich
Sep 23 McKinsey, Berlin
Sep 16 Villa Hammerschmidt
Sep 12 AI Summit, Nanjing
Jul 24-27 Harbin, China:
Jul 21 Seoul (Samsung)
Jun 12 Swiss Govt.
Jun 7-8 Geneve
AI for Good
Jun 1-6 Madrid; EPFL
May 25-30 Beijing GMIS
May 16-19 London (e.g., WIRED Money, WPC)
May 9 Telekom/KPMG, Bonn
May 4 St Gallen Symposium
Apr 28 AUDI Beyond
Silicon Valley meets Switzerland
Auto Motor Sport
Mar 20 Davos SOS21
Mar 18 Stromburg
Mar 15 Linz
Jan 26 Luxembourg Fedil
Jan 17-19 Davos ZEIT video
Jan 14-16 DLD Munich
Jan 10 Barcelona: SAP keynote for 6000 people
Jan 1-8 Bay Area: Talks & Panels
Nov 14: NNAISENSE wins
NIPS 2017 "learning to run" challenge,
the NIPS contest with the highest award: a DGX station for $69k. Over 400 competitors participated. Watch the
of the runners!
Nov 2: Scientific American Blog on
Falling Walls: The Past, Present and Future of Artificial Intelligence.
More than just another industrial revolution - something that transcends humankind and even biology
3. Aug 2017:
Our impact on the 5 most valuable public companies in the world: Apple (#1), Alphabet (Google, #2), Microsoft (#3), Facebook (#4), Amazon (#5) ... Our deep learning neural networks such as LSTM (developed since the 1990s) are now used billions of times per day for speech recognition on smartphones, language translation, and many other applications
Aug 6: JS is recipient of the first Best Paper Award ever issued by the
journal Neural Networks,
for the 2015 survey of Deep Learning
5. Aug 3: Facebook is now using our LSTM
over 4 billion automatic translations per day (The Verge);
6. Mar 22:
History of computer vision contests won by deep CNNs on GPU (since 2011)
7. Jan 17:
NNAISENSE funding news
and Bloomberg coverage
Nov 29-30 Berlin (Benz)
Nov 17-20 Chicago
Nov 16 Zurich
Nov 15 Swiss ICT Award
Nov 10 Bregenz
Nov 2-5 London, WIRED, DeepMind
Oct 28 BMW Welt
Oct 12-14 NY: GE / AI ethics
Oct 6 Stuttgart
Oct 5 Grundfos Prize
Sep 28 Amsterdam GTC
Sep 24 S.F., CA - cancelled
Sep 16 Winterthur SDS
Sep 5 London ML Meetup
Sep 2 Berlin ZEIT KI
Sep 1 Düsseldorf
Sep 1 Geneva
Aug 12 Berlin CoNLL
Jul 29 Seattle
Jul 25 Vancouver IJCNN
Jul 7 Bruxelles EU Summit
Jun 24 Berlin
Jun 17 Essen
Jun 16 DLDsummer
Jun 7 Munich
Jun 4 Berlin
Jun 2 Frankfurt
May 31 Arbeitgebertag
May 15-20 London
May 12-14 Beijing BMW
May 2-4 NYC: AI for Global 500 executives; also DLD
May 1 Berlin: Handelsblatt
Feb 22-26 Frankfurt & Munich (Fraunhofer etc)
1. Selected recent articles and interviews:
WIRED (Nov 22),
NY Times (Nov 27, front page),
Financial Times (Nov 27, also here),
ACM (Oct, also
IT World &
Intl. Business Times (Feb),
2. In leading German language newspapers:
ZEIT online in June),
Spiegel (Europe's top news magazine, Feb),
NZZ 1 & 2 (August),
SZ (Mar). More in
BR Alpha (Jan),
Bunte (Jan), and more ...
3. Dec 8 in Barcelona: NIPS 2016 Symposium:
Recurrent Neural Networks and Other Machines that Learn Algorithms
4. Nov 30: Our LSTM is part of
5. Sept 26: Our LSTM is at the core of
Google's Machine Translation
Bolt vs Phelps
7. Apple announced at
that it uses our LSTM to improve iOS -
8. April 3: Our lab is proud recipient of the NVIDIA Pioneers of AI Research award, which comes with a 170 TFLOP deep learning supercomputer
2015 academic activities (1 page)
Dec 3-16, NYC & Montreal
Nov 4-5, London:
Oct 28, Stuttgart
Oct 27, Zurich
Oct 15, Delft Robotics
Oct 5, 7, 9, Munich: MICCAI and
Sep 14, Bern: Keynote for Swiss eHealth summit
Aug 17-20 Seattle: IEEE distinguished lecture / Microsoft, Amazon
Aug 7-16, San Francisco:
Deep Learning WS &
Plenary @ INNS BigData / Apple Inc. & others
Aug 3-6: Talks at MIT
Jul 23, Berlin: AGI Keynote
Jun 12: Big Techday
Jun 9-10, Frankfurt: Deep Learning for Finance
May 27, Oslo: Telenor
May 19-21, Shenzhen / Hongkong: Huawei STW
May 5-8, L.A.: TED-style XPRIZE talk
May 1-4, NYC
Nov 7-9, Brunei: Keynote for INNS-CIIS 2014
Nov 3-6, Malaysia: Plenary talk for ICONIP 2014
Aug 1-19: 12 talks in NY & Bay Area:
ML meetup in Empire State Building (youtube, vimeo),
Yahoo, SciHampton, Google Palo Alto (youtube), SciFoo @ Googleplex, Stanford Univ, ML meetup San Francisco (vimeo), ICSI (youtube), Univ Berkeley (2 talks, 1 video), IBM Watson
Jun 26, Jeju, Korea: Plenary talk for KAIST 2014
May 23, Frankfurt: Deep Learning for Finance
Mar 19, NYC: McGraw-Hill
roundtable on "A.I./Robotics and impact on employability"
Feb 25, 18:00: ETHZ ML meetup -
talk video (14 April) and slides
Feb 25, 12:00 ETHZ
Feb 24: Univ. Basel
1. Lisbon, 18 July:
award at IADIS 2014,
with E Nivel, K Thorisson, B Steunebrink, H Dindo, G Pezzulo, M Rodriguez, C Hernandez, D Ognibene, R Sanz, H Helgason, A Chella, G Jonsson
2. Who Invented Backpropagation? (History of Deep Learning's central algorithm 1960-1981 and beyond)
26 Jan: Google acquired for ~$500m the company deepmind co-founded by
our former PhD student Shane Legg (PDF of thesis), Demis Hassabis, and Mustafa Suleyman. Deepmind also employs Schmidhuber's former PhD students Dr. Daan Wierstra (#4 of deepmind), Dr. Tom Schaul, Dr. Alex Graves, who have been working on deep RNNs: Alex on supervised RNNs, Daan & Tom on reinforcement learning RNNs and evolving RNNs (see their papers under the links above). Alex & Daan are also co-authors of one of the earliest deepmind publications (Dec 2013); compare our RNN video game controllers learning from high-dim visual input streams (July 2013).
See this news link.
USA/Canada lecture tour:
Aug 12: CIG 2013 keynote
Aug 9: Univ. Guelph, Toronto
Aug 7: IJCNN: INNS awards
Aug 6: AML Special Talk
Aug 2: Univ. Austin
Jul 31: Salk Institute
Jul 30: SRI, San Diego
Jul 29: UCI, Irvine
Jul 26: Brain Corporation & Qualcomm, San Diego
Jul 23: USC, L.A.
Jul 22: Las Vegas keynote cancelled
Jul 19: Allen Brain Institute
Jul 15: AAAI video competition, Seattle
Jul 15: AAAI WS RepLearn
Transcript (at Kurzweil AI) of
In the beginning was the code
Mar 1: MPI WS. See
video of lecture on optimal universal AI & neural network renaissance & theory of fun (only 6 slides)
1. Aug 8, San Francisco: AAAI 2011 best video award for Swarmanoid, the movie (youtube), with contributions from IDSIA (group of Luca), IRIDIA (group of Marco, ex-IDSIA), EPFL, ISTC.
2. Aug 6, Google Headquarters, CA: Kurzweil Prize for Best Paper of AGI 2011 (Gisslen, Luciw, Graziano, Schmidhuber).
3. Aug 6: 2011 Solomonoff AGI Theory Prize shared by M. Ring in the group of J.S.
4. Aug 2, San Jose, CA: Our team won the IJCNN 2011 on-site
Traffic Sign Recognition Competition (the only method outperforming humans - thanks to Dan & Ueli & Jonathan).
See paper. More.
5. June 17: Our team just won the ICDAR 2011 Chinese
handwriting recognition competition. More.
6. Mar 25: Schmidhuber's Team of 2011
7. Feb 1:
Computer Vision with Fast Deep / Recurrent Neural Nets etc -
new world records on visual pattern recognition benchmarks: CIFAR10, NORB, ...
8. Jan 21: 1st & 2nd rank in the
online Traffic Sign Recognition Contest. Top teams invited to IJCNN.
9. Jan 18: Interview with The Next Big Future
10. Jan 17: Schmidhuber's 48th birthday &
activity report of last year (1 page summary)
11. Jan 5:
Citation bubble about to burst?
(Nature, vol. 469, p. 34, 2011).
Like the less-than-worthless CDOs that drove the recent financial bubble, and unlike concrete goods and real exports, citations are easy to print and inflate.
1. Nov 12:
Switzerland - best country in the world,
especially for scientists?
2. Oct 1:
Formal theory of creativity (1990-2010) explains
science, art, music, humor, autonomous development, the desire to learn motor skills, and
principles of artificial scientists & artists (with recent survey paper in IEEE TAMD).
3. July 12: GECCO 2010 best paper nomination for Exponential Natural Evolution Strategies.
4. June 9:
Interview with The Fifth Conference
5. May 28: World record in handwritten digit recognition for
deep big simple fast neural nets on graphics cards.
Neural Computation, in press, 2010.
6. Mar 10: AGI 2010 best paper award (Kurzweil Prize) for Frontier Search. PDF.
7. Mar 3: Our
Pybrain Machine Learning
Library features source code of
many learning algorithms - some of
them cannot be found in other
libraries. See Pybrain video.
See JMLR paper.
8. Feb 12: Schmidhuber's Team of 2010 is shaping up - two Seniors, a dozen Postdocs,
a dozen PhD students, one Visiting Professor. Still hiring!
9. Jan 17: Schmidhuber's 47th birthday &
activity report of last year (1 page summary)
10. Jan 5: Interview in H+ Magazine: Build Optimal Scientist, Then Retire. Got
on Jan 27.
11. Our multi-dimensional LSTM recurrent neural networks
recognition competitions at ICDAR 2009 (search
the site for "Graves", Schmidhuber's postdoc).
Nov 12: Keynote in the historic Cinema Corso (Lugano)
for Design Research 09: Art & Science
Oct 10: Keynote for EUCogII, Hamburg
Oct 9: Univ. Kiel
Oct 8: Univ. Luebeck
Oct 3: Invited talk for Singularity Summit in the historic
Kaufmann Concert Hall, New York City.
Aug 25: Dirac summer school, Leuven, Belgium
June 22: NDES 2009, Switzerland
Mar 18: Harvard
Mar 17: Boston U.
Mar 16: MIT
Mar 13: UMass
Mar 11: NYU
Mar 10: Princeton
Mar 9: Rutgers
Mar 6: Keynote for Artificial General
Intelligence AGI-09, on New AI
1. The Great Ray Solomonoff passed away on 7 Dec. With great sadness
AGI 2010 will be held "In Memoriam Ray Solomonoff."
2. Dec 1 is deadline for the conference on Artificial General Intelligence
(AGI 2010) in Lugano, Switzerland! At the conference we'll also conduct additional job interviews
for the remaining Postdoc and Phd jobs announced under sn2010,
3. Oct 28: The European Union - A New Kind of Empire?
4. Sept 25 - new jobs: Three postdocs of Schmidhuber just got professorships abroad.
Now he is looking for three FRESH postdocs to replace them.
5. July 27: Schmidhuber's Team of 2009 - a dozen PhD students, a dozen Postdocs, two Seniors, three visiting Professors.
6. Best paper award at GECCO 2009: S. Yi, D. Wierstra, T. Schaul, J. Schmidhuber:
Efficient Natural Evolution Strategies. PDF.
7. Site of STIFF research project on
elastic robot arms and hands
8. Guest editor:
on "Algorithmic Complexity in
Physics & Embedded Artificial Intelligences" (deadline 31 Dec 2009)
9. Jan 17: Schmidhuber's
activity report of last year (1 page summary)